The District 196 Collective Bargaining Agreement: What You Need to Know
If you’re a teacher or staff member in the Rosemount-Apple Valley-Eagan School District, you may have heard about the District 196 Collective Bargaining Agreement, or CBA. But what exactly is it, and how does it affect you?
In simplest terms, a collective bargaining agreement is a contract between an employer and a union that represents its workers. The CBA outlines the terms and conditions of employment, such as salaries, benefits, and working conditions, as well as grievance procedures and other important details.
For District 196, the CBA is negotiated between the district administration and the United Teachers of District 196, which represents more than 3,500 teachers and other licensed staff. The current agreement was ratified in July 2019 and is set to expire on June 30, 2021.
Some key highlights of the current agreement include:
– Salary increases: Teachers and other staff members receive annual salary increases based on their level of experience and education. In the 2019-2020 school year, the average salary increase was 2.5%.
– Health insurance: The district offers several health insurance options for employees, including a high-deductible plan with a health savings account and a traditional PPO plan. The district covers a portion of the premiums, and employees are responsible for the rest.
– Retirement benefits: Employees are eligible to participate in the Minnesota Teachers Retirement Association (TRA) or the Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) based on their position and years of service.
– Professional development: The district provides funding for professional development opportunities for teachers and other staff members.
– Grievance procedures: The CBA outlines the process for resolving disputes between employees and the district, including a series of steps that can involve mediation or arbitration.
As with any contract, there may be disagreements or misunderstandings about the terms of the CBA. In such cases, it’s important for both the district and the union to work together to find a resolution that is fair and equitable for all parties involved.
In addition, as a teacher or staff member in District 196, it’s important to be familiar with the terms and conditions outlined in the CBA. This can help ensure that you are receiving the salary, benefits, and other entitlements that you are entitled to as an employee of the district.
Overall, the District 196 Collective Bargaining Agreement is an important document that shapes the employment relationship between the district and its teachers and staff members. By understanding its terms and conditions, both parties can work together to create a positive and productive work environment for everyone involved.